Documents Needed To Enter Mexico & The U.S.


Image Default Baja123

Entering The U.S.

American Visa Needed To Enter Mexico 

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative will require all travelers, including U.S. citizens, going to and from Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda to have a passport, a passport card (READY LANE), a Frequent Traveler card (NEXUS,  SENTRI, FAST), Enhanced Driver’s License (READY LANE, for residents in states that issue them) or Military ID with travel orders or other accepted documents that establishes the bearer’s identity and nationality and which will allow them to enter and exit the United States. This requirement is for all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel. Learn about Border Crossing Options and Border Crossing Locations and Wait Times. 

U.S. citizens age 16 or over must present either a U.S. passport book or card to re-enter the U.S. by land or sea. Minors under the age of 16 may enter the U.S. via the land border with a certified birth certificate, consular report of birth abroad, citizenship certificate, or naturalization certificate.

Image Default

Entering Mexico

Mexican Visa needed to enter the U.S.A. 

All U.S. citizens – including children – must present a valid passport, book or card, for travel beyond the “border zone” into the interior of Mexico. Entry by any means, for example by plane or car, is included in this requirement. The “border zone” is generally defined as an area between 20 to 30 kilometers of the border with the U.S., depending on the location. Stays of less than 72 hours within the border zone do not require a visa or tourist card. 

U.S. citizens traveling as tourists beyond the border zone or entering Mexico by air must pay a fee to obtain a tourist card, also known as an FM-M (Forma Migratoria Múltiple), available from Mexican border crossing points, Mexican tourism offices, airports within the border zone and most airlines serving Mexico.

Upon arrival in Mexico, business travelers must complete and submit a form (Form FM-M 30 days) authorizing the conduct of business, but not employment, for a 30-day period. Travelers entering Mexico for purposes other than tourism or business or for stays of longer than 180 days require a visa and must carry a valid U.S. passport. U.S. citizens planning to work or live in Mexico should apply for the appropriate Mexican visa at the embassy of Mexico. 

Learn about Immigration Services in the Rosarito Beach Area in case you require to process either a temporary or permanent residency in Mexico.