Moving Your Possesions To Baja



Moving your personal property into Mexico is not complicated. You have the one time right to bring your household belongings with you at no cost.You will need to have either an FMM (temporary tourist card) that is valid up to 180 days, “Residente Temporal Card” (one year visa, Formerly known as FM3), or “Residente permanente card” (permanent residence formerly  known as visa FM2) to bring your belongings with you into Mexico without paying taxes.

Moving Your Possessions To Baja

You can bring new or used consumer goods necessary for your personal use and not in quantities that would appear to be for resale.

This is a very easy process; you only need to follow some requirements to do it. The first step is packing your household goods in boxes, numbering them and making a list describing the items in the box.

Then you need to go to the Mexican consulate and fill out the form to get your “menaje de casa”.

When you are done with the Mexican Consulate, you will need to work with a customs agent to determine the value of your belongings and to help you through the process with the Mexican customs. Some moving companies in Mexico are connected with customs agents and this might help you through a fast and easy moving process.

Requirements from the Consulate:

1. Original “Residente Temporal Card” and one photocopy

2. A typewritten list describing belongings

3. All electrical appliances, such as refrigerators, dishwashers, televisions, etc. must have the brand and serial number included.

Make it as brief as possible, for example:

  • 1 Refrigerator Admiral Brand 1999 model number 45637 
  • 1 Dishwasher General Electric year 2003 serial number S34567 
  • 1 Television Admiral Year 2005, serial number 45678 
  • Box 1 to 5 Dishes and China 
  • Box 6 Men’s clothing 
  • Box 7 to 10 Women’s clothing
  • Box 11 to 20 Books 
  • Box 21 Kitchen utensils 
  • 1 Dining room set 6 pieces, 1 table, and 5 chairs 
  • 1 Kitchen table with 4 chairs 
  • 1 Sofa and 3 chairs 
  • 1 Bedroom set, bed, mattress, and 2-night tables.

4. The list must be submitted with no spaces in between the lines5. The list must be presented with the original form and 3 copies6. On the list, you must provide your address in the USA and the address where you will reside in Mexico.

Very Important!

Applications are accepted between 8:00 A.M. till 12:00 P.M. Monday through Friday. Once the document is accepted you have to wait 24 hours for your permit to be ready for pick up.

As we have previously said, moving companies have experience dealing with customs agents, so we highly suggest to get in contact with them if you have any questions related to moving in costs, dates, rates, importation, temporary resident or permanent resident cards (“Residente Temporal” or “Residente Permanente”), etc.